Saturday, November 30, 2013

Sketch dump- July 2013- UK

Sherston, UK, Home of our favorite pub: The Rattlebone Inn... a great hike in the Cotswolds!
This was an estate in Craig-Y-No, ACROSS the road from the smaller hotel (by hotel, I mean "lovely attic in a horse stable") that we were staying at in the Brecon Beacons in central Wales.
Harlech Castle from the train station... Guess what? Turns out the English were pricks to the Welsh as well as the Native North Americans (called Indians even though they're not from India). Who knew?
Inside the Blue Boar Pub in Hey-On-Wey, Wales... the town of books. Awesome place. I wish I could live there.
Craig-Y-No, Wales... we rode horses here and stayed at the stable. Very fun.
Gwynn Arms, Brecon Beacons, Wales. Great pub... not so great food. Living up to the tradition of putting jam sauce on every dish... even salmon. But the beer and ambiance was great. Get the Ploughman's or the steak. Can't mess up Cheese and red meat!
The Pen-Y-Cae Inn... Fabulous food... Fabulous day out hiking in the wilds of Wales... great garden... they had goats and Meerkats. Anything is possible when you run an empire for a little while.
View from the Grain Barge restaurant in Bristol, UK. One of my favorite restaurants in the UK... with lovely friends. Great afternoon out and about!
Barnes Station, London, UK. 11:15 PM... Waiting for a train home... and by home, I mean back to the hotel.
Made it back to the Mayfair. Record will start the next day. Settling my stomach with a double of Oban and a still life. Nervous about the music, even though there's not much pressure from your's truly. Really... my only job for the next four days will be thumbs up or thumbs sideways. Drink up! Cheers........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ So last summer, the studio sent us to the UK to record the orchestra for the movie... at Abbey Road. Abby f@#king Road. Pretty awesome. Having grown up a complete Anglo-file... loving Python, Black Adder, Dr. Who, The Prisoner, Benny Hill, not to mention Sabbath, Clapton, ACDC (I know.. they're Aussie... but Brian is a Brit... and while I love Mr. Bon Scott... the first CD I ever owned was Back in Black... so eat it),and of course the Beatles... soooo any time I can get to Auld Blighty... I'm gonna take the shot. Especially being weened in deep English Canada... I mean, I know the English were bastards. They came over... screwed the French... REALLY screwed the Natives... Genocide is Genocide... And basically left Canada a stuffy, finger in the bum, proper, uppity, somewhat spineless- when it's not on ice- country, wearing funny wigs and sipping tea with pinkies extended... But they also gave us a lovely lady on our money and the tradition of the Sunday Roast. I cannot tell you how much I miss a good Sunday Roast. I'm not religious... I'm no longer Nationalistic... but come Sunday and you cook meat slowly in a pot with potatoes and carrots... and I'm in like white on rice. Add beer and I'll jump out of a trench and get shot by a German! Odd how I still find myself wondering on Monday morning why I can't lose the belly fat? So anyway... In the UK... I got to spend an extra week there with my family, traveling around the country before the record. Here's some sketches from my moleskin. I must confess... I scanned them and slapped some color in there digitally... I'm cheating, using my memory, such as it is. It's funny though how I can recollect a sketch...even a bad one, way more than I could ever recollect a photo. I could tell you what I was listening to... what I was eating... how I was FEELING during the drawing of each and everyone of these doodles. Anyhow... I have a bunch more, but I figured this is enough for tonight. Most of these drawings were done with pen and ink on a watercolour moleskin in Bristol and Wales, where we had an amazing stay with a good friend's mother. Trip of a lifetime. Cheerio, pip, pip and all that. KP

3 comments:

Anita said...

Love your sketches :)
Love your blog, you rock :)

Rob Bredow said...

Love these.

KP said...

Thanks eh!